Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Baby Wes is due soon and his blankie awaits

Last week, I finished the blanket for my next grandchild, Weston Cain, who is due any day. The colors were chosen based on colors his momma seems to love, since she uses them almost exclusively when she decorates (I really like them, too!). They're the colors of the ocean and nature - gorgeous blues, browns, and a few shades of green.

The pattern is from Lion Brand's website - Vintage Charm Throw . I t was a simple knit, which is really important for me right now, what with my current brain "challenges." I think the simplicity also made the color changes stand out much more. I used Lion Brand's Nature's Choice Organic Cotton, which has a nice twist and is SO soft. The pattern also features a seed stitch border, which should make for a nice texture for the baby. I've seen so many of my grandchildren who love to stroke their blankies. Hopefully, Wes will like this one also. The yarn is not machine washable, but his momma loves things organic. So, I know she'll take care in caring for the piece!

Wes will be my son and spouse's (Dan and Marcy's) second child and brother to Jake, aged 3. Marcy had a rough time having Jake three years ago, so we're praying for a simple, easy delivery this time.

Looking back on all three of my deliveries, I feel so blessed. Everyone of my children were born so easily, even the oldest (Chad) who took his time in arriving, but he was the first.

Other projects on the needles can now get going again. First up, a sweater for Lettie, the one-year old daughter of my Michigan daughter Christine. This sweater is going to be just so luscious. It's knit from a natural colored cotton and based on a pattern from Interweaves Knitting Traditions. The pattern was taken from some German miniatures and translated to make infant size 3 to 9 months. I've re sized it by using Knit Picks Simply Cotton sport weight. Will probably add some finishing touches at the neck and front lapels, when I'm done, much like Susan Levin did.

It's a little hard to image it as a sweater right now (in the picture, you are looking at the inside of the sweater, showing the right front and almost completed back.) The sweater is knit up and down, instead of from side to side like most patterns. This allows a simple P 1 row, K 2 rows, P 1 row sequence to result in these soft ridges, which should expand as this little one grows, at least for awhile (see third picture).

The last piece I want to show is a new project, which I am NOT going to start until this baby sweater and a few other things are done. Hannah Fettig has a new pattern called Wispy Cardi, which she offers as a kit on her store website, Knitbot. I chose the Malabrigo lace yarn (a soft, slightly variegated blue) to knit this in (it's much lighter than the picture below).

The kit came yesterday and it's taking all of my self-control not to start knitting right away. I may go ahead and at least swatch to get gauge, since I need to make sure I have enough yarn before it's no longer available in this dye lot. Don't get me started about Malabrigo yarn. It is SO beautiful (and SO tempting right now!). But I've promised myself to finish a few more projects before starting any more.

That's all for now. I think I'll go knit that swatch!

No comments:

Post a Comment